#1: Image Attachments
This is the third version in a row that we have delivered our most wanted feature, which in this version was Image Attachments on Posts and Comments 🎉
This new feature that allows users to upload up to 3 images when submitting a new post or comment.
Staff members still have full control over the post/comment and can delete or replace any uploaded image.
#2: Better SEO (experimental)
Some engines have a lower priority when indexing pages that are client-side rendered, which can affect the SEO ranking.
Dynamic rendering is a process of serving different contents based on request. The idea is that a SEO crawler would get receive a server-side rendered result because that’s what they prefer, while an end user browser would still perform the rendering client-side. For more details on Dynamic rendering, visit https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/dynamic-rendering
Because SEO is an important aspect for Fider, we’ve decided to improve this area by creating an open source prerender service called Rendergun. This new release of Fider has a native integration with Rendergun, but is not yet documented. We’ll update our documtation page once this has been tested and is stable enough.
If you’re self-hosting a Fider instance and would like to experiment this as well, please get in touch with us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Changes on Fider 0.18
- feature: pretender crawler requests if rendergun is configured (#724)
- feature: add attachments to comments (#734)
- feature: image attachments on Posts (#719)
- feature: upload custom avatar (#699)
- feature: user can choose between Letter and Gravatar (#697)
- feature: S3, SQL and File System as blob storage (#681)
- feature: option to set site under maintenance (#679)
- enhancement: make show more a link (SEO) (#667)
- enhancement: set canonical link on HTML (#675)
- enhancement: improve Post query performance (#686)
- enhancement: configurable max/idle database connections (#676)
- enhancement: implement touch icons (#677)
- enhancement: health check should ping database (#680)
- enhancement: cache gravatar response (#564)
- enhancement: replace googleplus (deprecated) with google api (#693)
- design: minor UI fixes (#682)
- tooling: update all NPM packages (#729)
- fix: use rendergun on React pages only and block ads (#728)
- fix: write logs on a separate goroutine (#725)
- fix: sanitize input before parsing markdown (#727)
- fix: allow duplicate ID when post is deleted (#715)
- fix: use double quotes (#712)
- fix: increase custom CSS priority (#706)
- fix: force min/max size values (#698)
- fix: handle invalid ServerNames during SSL handshake (#689)
- fix: don’t set cookies on cached content (#674)
- fix: don’t cache the assets base url (#669)
- fix: incorrect order of parameters (#668)
- docs: windows dev environment common issues (#605)
Help us shape the future of Fider. Visit our feedback forum and raise your voice. Tell us what to do next.